Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Indexes

Indexes are not very sexy.  They are also difficult to advocate for or promote in the K to 5 library. Nevertheless, they are a fundamental component of any library's reference section.  I use indexes to locate information for my own professional development and so do my colleagues.  As I have posted earlier, my K to 5 patrons have access to EBSCO.

I tried out a number of indexes from the UBC library and found them all quite good.  The problem, as a number of other participants in LIBE 467 have pointed out, is the high number of spurious information a search can elicit.  The need to identify and use appropriate subject terms is crucial.  The best index for providing search suggestions is EBSCO's Academic Search Complete which has a subject thesaurus that gives subject terms suggestions based on your initial query.  I wish such a powerful search feature were available for K to 5 students when using a tool like Searchasaurus.

No comments:

Post a Comment